MADISON — The Janesville Craig Cougars, one of ten teams statewide to qualify for the Division 1 WIAA state gymnastics tournament in Wisconsin Rapids, competes in the team event Friday for the first time since 2008.
The 53rd Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association State Gymnastics Championships will take place Friday-Saturday, March 3-4 at Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln High School in Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
The team championships in Divisions 1 and 2 will begin at noon. The individual championships will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday.
Team scores are compiled by adding the sum of the four best individual scores in each of the four events in the team competition.
Craig, qualifying for state for the third time in program history, sends seven athletes to the tournament, with these five scheduled to compete:
- Kaylea Malovrh, fr.
- Hailey Fugate, so.
- Alexis Hanson, fr.
- Rya Arreazola, so.
- Charli Degarmo, jr.
- The 10 teams that will be competing for the team state championship in Division 1, with the number of times the programs have qualified for the team competition in parentheses, are Arrowhead (17), Chippewa Falls/McDonell Catholic (1), Franklin/Muskego (2), Hartford (6), Homestead (25), Hudson (8), Janesville Craig (3), Menomonee Falls/Germantown (4) Sun Prairie East/West (1) and Verona/Edgewood (11).
- State Meet Schedule
- Friday, March 3 – Team Competition
- 10:30 a.m. Building opens
- 10:45 a.m. Judges Meeting
- 11:00-11:30 a.m. General stretching and bar settings
- 11:00 a.m. Facility Opens for Spectators
- 11:30-11:40 a.m. All gymnasts gather in balcony for march in preparation
- 11:45 a.m. March in (Note: Athletes must be attired in school-approved warm-ups and/or leotards).
- Noon Competition begins